The documentation is intended to help you to install and setup The Guard theme. If you have any problems, please send us ticket and we'll help you troubleshoot and solve the issue!
We recommend to use the latest version of WordPress and online version of the documentation.
There are 2 way to install WordPress themes – via WordPress admin and via FTP
1. Download archive with the theme on your Themeforest account.
2. Unzip archive the-guard-installable.zip and upload it into your WordPress Theme directory /wp-content/themes/.
3. Open the WordPress admin panel by going to www.your_domain.com/wp-admin/.
4. Go to Appearance > Themes on the sidebar.
5. Activate The Guard theme.
1. Open wordpress admin panel (navigate through web browser to the folder where you have installed the WordPress e.g www.your_domain.com/wp-admin/) and go Appearance > Themes on admin sidebar..
2. Click on the Add new button.
3. Click on the Upload Theme button.
4. Click on the choose file button, select "the-guard-installable.zip" and click Open, and than Install Now button.
5. Activate The Guard theme
Acivate the theme. Install and activate SecretLab Installer plugin.
Go to Appearance -> Welcome page. Choose version of design that you want to install and click Start installation button.
Go to Theme Options and save settings. All done!
If you cannot finished automatic installation and got any server arrors, you can use manual installation. There are step-by-step installation functions - just click and wait. There are 13 steps. Every step can be done automatically by button Do it or manually by link (if it couln't be done automatically).
1. Install and activate plugins.
2. Refresh the page.
Files for full manual installation is at folder /the-guard/import/.
If you got error, you can see what happened in Install Log and ask your hosting administrator to check php error log, to get a reason of error. Also you can use Manual Install
You can continue installation process from step that got error.
1. Click 1. Begin installing plugins
Select all plugins, choose Install and click Apply.
2. Click 2. Begin activating plugins
Select all plugins, choose Activate and click Apply.
3. Click 3. Refresh the page
4. After the installation and activation of the plugins is complete, go to Appearance > Welcome and choose second step 4. Import Custom Post Types. On the Import/Export page choose types_plugin_settings.xml file in the import folder and click Import file. This is Custom Post Type for portfolio, testimonials, services and teammates.
You will be prompted for what groups, fields, and types you want to create. Select them all. This will create the Custom Post Types for portfolio, testimonials, services, and teammates.
You should see
5. Click 5. Import Sliders on welcome page. Click Import Slider on the screen that comes up.
Click Browse button, choose the slider in the /import/name_of_design/sliders/ folder and click Import. You need to import all of sliders for your selected design.
6. Click 6. Import Theme Option Set on welcome page. Open file with theme option settings in the /import/name_of_design/ folder. For example, /import/name_of_design/theme_options.json. Copy all text data, click button import from file, paste the data into the textarea, and click Importbutton.
7. Click Do it at 7. Import Icon Fonts and wait a few secons, it must setup icon font. If it display error, click Import Icon Fonts or go to Ultimate -> icon Manager and click button Upload new icons and choose zip archive alico.zip from folder /the-guard/import/ and click Insert Fonts Zip File button. Make the same with security.zip
8. Click 8. Set Menu and Discussions Checkboxes. The function shoul set menu display options, page discussion options and set display options for WPBakery at widgets, portfolio, services and teammate pages.
9. Click 9 Import Dummy Data on welcome page. Choose the dummy_data.xml file in the /import/name_of_design/ folder. Choose the one you need, select the xml file, click Upload file and import
When import process finished you can see inscription All done. Have fun!.
If you receive either the Request Timeout or 500 Server Internal Error it means the import process was unable to finish for 1 step. You can solve this in the way:
Press key F5 (refresh page) and click button Resend data if your browser prompts you to do so. This second option may take 10 to 15 repetitions to complete.
After the import process completes, you will got a screen like this:
10. Click 11. Import Widgets, choose file with widgets - *.wie file and click Import Widgets.
Before you are start to update theme, make data backup please.
There are 2 ways to update the theme:
1. Update by Envato Toolkit.
- After theme update, deactivate and and delete plugins WPBakery, ultimate Addons for WPBakery, Revolution Slider, SecretLab Shortcodes, SecretLab Metabox and install it via yellow message at the top of amin page. The message appear when you delete some required plugins.
- After theme update go to Theme Options and click button "Save changes".
2. By FTP
- Download installable archive with thme from ThemeForest.
- Upzip the-guard-installable.zip on you computer and unpack it.
- Upload /the-guard/ folder at your hosting by ftp into /wp-content/themes/ folder. And say "Yes, replace all files".
- After that - go to Theme Options and click button "Save changes".
- Update plugins from folder /the-guard/lib/. You need to update WPBakery, ultimate Addons for WPBakery, Revolution Slider, SecretLab Shortcodes, SecretLab Metabox.
If you get any error - check please your php error server logs.
If you cant get access to php error logs, go to wp-config.php and find a line with
define('WP_DEBUG', false);. Replace the live with:
After this, go to page when you get error, refresh it. And if you get error again, go to /wp-content/debug.log to read information about the error. When you know what is the problem, you can solve it or send message to your hosting to fix it.
These colors from color scheme savings into CSS-file after you click "Save Changes" button at theme options. If color scheme doesnt changes, check writable permission for file and folder for CSS files:
It should be 755 or 777 for folder and 644 or 666 for file.
If you want update any plugins which provides with the theme, follow these steps:
1. Delete these plugins.
2. Click Begin installing plugins at notice at top of the page.
3. Choose all plugins you want to install and click Apply button.
4. Click Return to required plugin installer link
5. Choose all plugins you want to install, choose Activate at dropdown menu and click Apply button.
6. All don. You can start configure and use these plugins
If you want install only plugins without other content, follow these steps:
1. Click Begin installing plugins at notice at top of the page.
2. Choose all plugins you want to install and click Apply button.
3. Click Return to required plugin installer link
4. Choose all plugins you want to install, choose Activate at dropdown menu and click Apply button.
5. All don. You can start configure and use these plugins
I bought developer extended licenses for WPBakery, Ultimate Addons for WPBakery and Slider Revolution. I must not share these keys (i have no permission to do it) - i provide updates of plugins with update of the theme.
You will get updates of plugins with theme updates.
1st reason: I have no permissions to share my developer license with customers.
2nd reason: If you are update WPBakery - you will crash some elements of the theme or design. I testing every version of WPBakery, ultimate addons for WPBakery and other plugins. Do you want testing it by yourself and fix any bugs? I dont think so. I protect you from crash your website.
Online documentation is here
On the Menu tab, you can edit colors for menu for every headers and backgrounds for the dropdown menu item. After uploading image on this screen, add class subbgr1 or subbgr2 to menu item on Appearance -> Menu page. You can also edit background for the sticky menu that appears with each header. Also you can configure sticky menu optiuons
For Shop - Theme Options -> Shop. You can add nessesary widgets in Appearance -> Widgets at Left Shop Sidebar and Right Shop Sidebar
For Blog - Theme Options -> Blog. You can add nessesary widgets in Appearance -> Widgets at Left Blog Sidebar and Right Blog Sidebar.
We recommed put all your blog's categories into Blog category with slug /blog/ for proper operation of blog's settings.
The theme using a lot of shortcodes: WPBakery, Ultimate Addons for WPBakery and SecretLab Shortcodes. You can find full information about these plugins at official documentations. And info about SecretLab Shortcodes is here.
The shortcode displays feed of posts by category and post-type. Available 1, 2 and 3 columns designs
It displays feed of testimonials in 2 columns-carousel with dots-navigation.
It displays feed of testimonials in 1 column-carousel with arrows-navigation.
The theme is supplied with 3 icon font sets: ultimate 1600 icons, 600 iconic icons and 60 security icons set. You can find zip archives with the icon sets at Icon fonts folder.
Icon Manager supplied with Ultimate Addons with WPBakery and support upload icon fonts, that was prepared at Iconmoon App. You can create icon font and upload .zip archive to Icon manager to use icons for display through WPBakery.
Best way to increase website loading speed is CDN (Content Delivery Network). For example, cloudflare.com, it's free
Also you can optimize:
1. Download and install W3 Total Cache plugin
- Go to Performance > General Settings
- At the end of this page you'll find "Import / Export Settings" section which you can import "w3-total-cache-config.json" file. The mentioned file is available via Package Content Folder > IncreasePageSpeed
2. Go to cloudflare.com and set your website, it's free. If you dont want to use CDN, you can use only cache plugin. Settings for cloudflare below:
Also I've been tested the theme compatibility with other cache plugins:
You can choose slider:
You can edit footer section or create a new one at Appearance -> All In One Widget plugin. These footer is editable with WPBakery
You can set footer that you want to display at Appearance -> Widgets. Just set widget All In One Widget to footer sidebar and choose a section that you created or edited in dropdown list
Go to Appearance -> Customize -> Site Identity.
Every pages, posts and categories has SEO settings.
You can configure titles and meta-data for custom post types, categories, tags etc at SEO -> Title & Metas page.
You can configure Breadcrumbs and Premalins at SEO -> Advanced page.
Full documentation for Yoast SEO plugins is here
Please remember you have purchased a very affordable theme. You have not paid for a full-time web design agency. Occasionally, we will help with small tweaks, but these requests will be put on a lower priority due to their nature. Support is also 100% optional and we provide it for your convinience, so please be patient, polite and respectful.
All included import files storages at folder the-guard/import/